Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Grappling


Materialism. In the economic connotation, it has to do with the acquiring of stuff, but that is only one dimension of it...

The teacher John said it like this: "Do not love the world or anything in the world. If you love the world, love for the Father is not in you. For everything in the world - the cravings of sinful people, the lust of their eyes and their boasting about what they have and do - comes not from the Father but from the world. The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever." (1 John 2:15-17)

I watched a few episodes of "The O.C." tonight with my friend Chris (Crarey) - it seems I have an abundance of friends and acquaintances with that name! Must be a Portland thing. As we were watching the show, I was struck by the opulence of the cars and houses - even their clothes. These kids have a school that looks more like a luxury day spa! We sat down to watch this show AFTER we spent an hour or so playing with his new Apple MacBook Pro... Needless to say, I already had the envy bug at this point.

I grew up in Bellevue, where most kids inherit Dad's BMW if they're unlucky. I didn't get my first car until I turned 20. My whole life I've been the kid in last year's sale fashions, driving a beater or taking the bus...

I'm not feeling sorry for myself (too much). If anything, I'm scared. I want to move to L.A. and live in a giant house, drive a sexy car, date a model, wear the labels. My heart scares me.

In Scripture, Christ tells parables to warn about this: The rich man who counted his money and reveled in it died that very night, a victim of his greed - judged and found guilty by the Lord. "It is easier for a camel to pass through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to enter the Kingdom..."

Forget those forbodings for a minute, and look again at 1 John 2. "If you love the world, love for the Father is not in you!!!!

Tonight, I'm questioning what's in my heart. Do I love things more than I love the very God who created me? Am I that American?!

Lord, help me love you more than what I see around me.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

hi adam. I miss you.. wish we could do some stumptown.... hope you're doing well!

adam said...

I was on the 205 today, and saw a Saturn like yours in front of me. The girl driving it even had curly hair... So I pulled up, hoping against hope it was you coming back to visit. Definitely was NOT you in the car! Miss the $#!^ out of you!

Anonymous said...

I think that the fundmental illiusion behind materialism is that "stuff will satisfy." When the reality is that no amount of stuff will ever satisfy because eventually something new will come out or we will have to "keep up with the Jones.'" The only true satisfaction comes when we are greatful for what we have and are thankful to Him who has given it to us. Keep up the good work, Adam!