Tuesday, March 27, 2007

Hello, Bellevue.


Bellevue. This town, this place - it's wonderful being home, though a bit unsettling, as well. I find myself looking over my shoulder often, wondering if I will have the pleasure/horror of running into someone I used to know. Will I recognize them? Will they ignore me? Will it be awkward?

I've gone and left this place behind. There's so much history here; tragedy and comedy, dark days and beautiful nights. When I return, I can't help but remember. I have yet to drive down my old streets and see the houses where I used to live. It's difficult to remember sometimes - I have scabs that I'm not ready to pick yet.

I've spent much time pondering my life in the last few weeks. Who was I, who am I, and who am I becoming? Where am I going? Will I ever be out of debt? When am I going back to school, and where? Where are Saralyn and I in our relationship? Where should we be? How do I model Christ to the people I work with, when I am so scattered I can barely see him? I feel like a soul in Limbo - neither here nor there. I have no city, no true home on this earth.

I can't honestly and objectively answer these questions right now. Now, I'm not having a quarter-life crisis. I will not be jumping into a cult, eloping with my girlfriend or selling a kidney (or worse) for debt relief. I'm just beginning to think a little more. I want my decisions and my relationships and focus to be weighty, heavy with meaning and impact. I want my life to count.

So I will keep on living, asking questions. I doubt I'll ever answer them all, but the beauty and the learning and painful growth is in the search.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hey man, are you in the area, or back in Portland?

Owen

adam said...

Hey, Owen! Alas, as I write this response, I am in uptown Portland, at a 24-hour Starbuck's... I wish I was still in 'the area'!

Why don't you open up your profile and blog for me to see?

Unknown said...

I don't have any of that other stuff, just a login.

I'll give you a call sometime. Press on!

Owen

Society's Elite said...

"24-hour Starbuck's"

now THAT sounds like a place i'd visit frequently... although it wouldn't be good on my bank account to be buying all those cafe mocha's so often... i'd probably go broke...