Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Lilies and Sparrows


As I type this, I am sitting on the sidewalk in front of "A.J. Java" a local cafe here in Portland. It is on the corner of 42nd Ave and Prescott, just up the street from my apartment. Every fifteen minutes or so, the Number 75 bus goes past, heading South on 42nd, toward the Hollywood Transit Center. Likewise, its counterpart appears shortly after, heading North toward St. Johns.

It is warm outside tonight, with slight cloud cover, and the streetlights obscure much of my view of the heavens. Every so often, a police cruiser will fly past. Of course, the Portland Police are above traffic laws, though they enforce them. If the light at my intersection is red, the cruiser will flash his cherry lights, and floor it through. If it is green, he continues on without a thought.

I wonder if I am breaking the law right now? My purpose for sitting here on the sidewalk, my back slouched against a tall planter box, is to steal the wifi from the cafe. It is "free" wifi, meaning that paying customers may use it. I justify my use tonight by the $3.35 iced mocha I bought earlier (when the wifi was down) and the change from a five that I tipped the barista. I believe I am owed my time!

My roommate, Austin, and I are mostly moved in. That is to say that all of our belongings are in the apartment. My room is arranged and clean (miracle, short-lived to be sure). His bed, dresser and desk, and our kitchen table, are at his mom's house in Grant's Pass, southern Oregon. He will leave on Sunday night to get them.

The Comcast technician will arrive between one and four p.m. to install our internet service on Monday.

We have purchased a shower curtain, kitchen garbage can, and some groceries together. I think it is going to be an adventure, and I am excited to live here.

Life is full-speed-ahead, and that is a good thing.

I like our neighborhood. There's a little diversity, and the neighbors seem cordial enough. One old and cane-wielding black lady stopped me in the parking lot as I was carrying an armload of books and clothes. We said hello, and I smiled. She asked me if I was a Christian, said that I must be, because I smile so big! I was a little surprised at her straightforwardness, and stammered that, yes, I believe I am a Christian. I don't remember her name, but I look forward to running into her again.

My car is broken, and in the shop. Hans' Foreign Auto. Yep, he's German. Grew up there, working on Volkswagens since he was 12. I'm in good hands (hans, get it?). I spoke with one of his mechanics today (Brandon), who said that the engine's not sparking, and doesn't seem to be getting enough fuel. He's investigating the fuel lines, spark plugs and cam. To fix it will cost between 4 and 500 dollars that I don't have. Lilies and sparrows. They neither worry nor care. I know God loves me more than he does them, so I will trust for his provision and plan.

In the meantime, I have been taking the Number 75 bus, and the MAX light rail to work. It's not bad. I miss the comfort of my Passat, though.

I'm going to sign off now, and go home to bed. Hopefully. I did just open a Mountain Dew. Sleep well, friends and faithful readers. More thoughts soon.

No comments: